Through our partnership Orica have expanded their well-recognised Safe and Efficient Blasting course Surface Coal. With a full day dedicated to safe and efficient excavation, the course now creates a link between drill, blast and downstream impacts on key mining processes.
Course Date: 21 – 23 October 2015
Completion of the course will equip participants to:
- Compare Explosives types and decide a reasonably cost-effective combination,
- Correctly Prime and Charge blastholes to ensure optimum performance,
- Select a suitable Initiation System, including delay intervals and hook-up methods,
- Modify Blast Patterns in difficult or unusual areas so as to maintain good results,
- Control Flyrock, Vibrations, and Airblast,
- Identify potential Safety Hazards relating to explosives and know how to avoid them,
- Comply with Explosives and Mining Regulations pertaining to explosives.
- Evaluate Risks associated with blasting
- Understand how dozers, shovels, excavators and draglines shift waste.
- Learn the key drivers, and risks, to equipment productivity,
- Analyze the wider operational Cost implications of changing blasting methods
Course Objectives and Target Groups
The program is designed to further enhance the skills and knowledge of shotfirers, supervisory personnel, mining engineers, geologists and drill and blast foremen. The objective of this course is to provide participants with a greater understanding of the requirements of drilling and blasting in Surface Coal Mining, so that they are able to carry out their job responsibilities which may be “hands-on” planning or supervisory. Learning about the excavation method and drivers in more detail, will allow participants to deliver superior blasting results which lead to bottom line savings.
Day 1 – Blasting Basics
- Explosives properties
- Explosives/rock interaction
- Explosives range and selection
- Blast Design
- Initiation systems
- Initiation applications
Day 2 – Excavation
- Production Dozing
- Theory and methodology
- Productivity calculations
- Planning and design
- Truck and Shovel
- General principles
- Safety and geotech
- Dig and dump shells
- Excavation methods and geological influence
- Reserves, spoil balance
- Sectional analysis
Day 3 – Advanced Principles
- Optimisation and economics
- Muckpile shaping
- Coal protection
- Wall control
For more information and to apply here.