Current commodity prices and ever-increasing competition between mining operations dictate a cost effective, achievable and well-presented mining sequence. MEC Mining was approached by an open cut iron ore mine to optimise their detailed mining sequence. The solution proposed by MEC Mining and implemented by the client enabled the operation to mine more efficiently, preventing costly errors and delays in production.
Benefits to Client
By defining the mining sequence the operation was able to clearly understand the project priorities, and therefore mine more efficiently, preventing costly errors and production delays.
An open cut iron ore mine required a detailed mining sequence incorporating current short- term plans as well as an extended mine plan tailored to an optimised pit shell. The ore body contained complex structures and the mining sequence had to follow prescribed operational priorities. The client was committed to ramping up production significantly in the first 12 months, making detailed mine plans crucial to reliable production forecasts and shipping schedules.
- Alignment of production demands and practicality of mining sequence.
- Difficult operating conditions.
- Ore and waste haulage strategy.
- Optimised pit shell and local conditions.
- Infrastructure and impact on reserve.
- Familiarisation with ore body.
- Review of factors impacting on available mineable reserves.
- Adjustment of the optimised pit shell, reduction in stripping ratio and preservation of infrastructure.